Ask a Urologist   »  

Catheter placed after problematic urine voiding after hip replacement surgery. Can I expect that the bladder will recover?

Neurologist
Question
I had hip replacement surgery Wednesday. After release from the hospital Friday, I had problematic urine voiding leading to emergency room catheter that released 1100 ccs of urine. The catheter is still in under the advice to let the bladder rest and resume normal size and functioning after ~5 days. Can I expect that the bladder will recover? I am male, 58 years old.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 27 hours later

Regarding the urinary retention after hip replacement surgery, is a very common problem and occurs in about 30-40 percent of the people undergoing the above surgery. Most often, it is only a temporary problem due to various reasons like stress of the surgery, pain, use of multiple medications and limitation of the movement. The bladder will be slowly trained and the catheter will be removed.

So I personally re-assure you that your bladder will recover completely and catheter will be removed shortly.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R

Follow-up: Catheter placed after problematic urine voiding after hip replacement surgery. Can I expect that the bladder will recover? 10 hours later
Thank you. I am just amazed that the bladder can distend to more than double a full load and still not lose any elasticity. I think you've said that, but can you just confirm that? I read things on the internet that say 1000 ccs for more than 1-2 hours does permanent damage. What is the optimum rest period before removing the catheter?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 14 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query

Regarding the capacity of the bladder, I do agree that the bladder can distend up to twice its normal capacity and sometimes can cause damage both to the bladder as well as kidneys.

Bladder can lose its elastic properties if the distension is prolonged for too long. However it is not the case in yours. Usually after 48-72 hours bladder recovers and one will be able to pull out the urinary catheter.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R