Cataract surgery done. One eye looks smaller than other. What could be the cause?

Hello! My mom had cataract surgery in December and her vision is 20/20 as we had follow up visits with the Dr. However, her left eye looks smaller than the right eye. She feels as if she can't open it wide enough. What could be the cause of this problem? Please advise. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Thank you for sending you query to us.

When anesthetic injection is given behind the eye it may lead to shrinkage of fat deposit behind the eyeball. There can also be spasm of upper lid muscle. These two factors can contribute to appearance of a smaller eye after surgery.

These conditions tend to improve with the passage of time. Do not worry as you hav had a good surgery evident by the good vision you have.

Please do get back to me if you have further queries.