Cataract operations done. Feeling lightheadedness, eye pain and anxiety. CAT scan normal. How to get relief?

My husband had cataract operations in the end of May and middle of XXXXXXX The 1st operation was not a problem, but the 2nd one in XXXXXXX started a trail of problems. He is 69 years old and was active with golf and walking and very socialable. Now he has lightheadedness, eye pain in the left eye, headaches, stress and anxiety. We live in FL and it is too hot to walk, let alone play golf. He continues to go to his eye surgeon, his primary doctor, and ENT, a cardiologist and has taken blood tests, CAT Scan of the brain and all are negative. He is now having problems with his BP as it drops 30 points when he stands. He is constantly upset, tired and angry at times. Headaches and lightheadedness. His primary has put him on a salt diet to raise his BP. His cardiologist is having him do a Nuclear Chemical Stress test. Most of the doctors feels he is stressed and has anxiety and we do not know how to reverse it. How to stop the headaches and lightheadedness. Help!!!!
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

I must thank you for your concern to your father

Let the detailed evaluation continue with your team of doctors as it is going on.

When an individual is not able to carry on his life up to his expectation, a set of symptoms in form of irritability, anxiety, bodily symptoms like headache can set in. This is called adjustment disorder.

Treatment of such ailments are:

1. Adequate effective best possible treatment of the medical / surgical condition

2. Psychotherapy with a mental health professional where he can express his feelings, abilities and inabilities, to what extent the medical condition will resolve etc, would help in such scenarios.

3. In some cases of adjustment disorder, where symptoms keep worsening and is dysfunctional, medications are advised and are helpful in combination with psychotherapy

Hope this would be of some help

Wish you a speedy recovery to your father
Follow-up: Cataract operations done. Feeling lightheadedness, eye pain and anxiety. CAT scan normal. How to get relief? 41 hours later
Thank you for your answer concerning my husband. It basically, as you expected, agrees with his doctors. He is now going to a naturapathic therapist rather then an operation or medicine.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 4 hours later
Thank you

The choice of doctor is yours. But as I said earlier adequate effective treatment of medical condition plus others we discussed earlier should help.

Wish him a happy and healthy life