Cat urine,difficulty breathing,headache,high blood pressure,disorientation

On Friday I was cleaned up some cat urine, by pooring bleach onto it undilluted. I did not nitice any burning, but later int he day I had difficulty breathing. Went to the ER, they checked my lungs and breathing. I was released to go home. On Saterday gradually felt dizzy, headache, and sleepy. While symptoms are milder, they have persisted to today...Tuesday. I can breath fine. However my blood pressure is high. My heart feels llike it is pounding and I still feel disorientated or outside of my body. I can go about my daily functioning, but am finding I am forgetful and somewhat clumsy. I did see my family doc. today. He thought it was more of an allergic reaction. I am getting worried.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

It looks like a mild allergic reaction and probably the fumes of the undiluted bleach have caused mast cell activation. However since your lungs have been checked and no problem has been found, so there is nothing much to worry. These symptoms should go away gradually.

The immune system of the body woke up to this antigen and regarded it as foreign in nature or not belonging to the body. The effect came as delayed hypersensitivity reaction of the body to this antigen caused by your immune cells and hence the bites started itching and swelling again.

You should take plenty of water and take antiallergic drugs like Montekulast or levocetrizine after consulting your family physician as these are prescriptions drugs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.