Cat scan shows advance volume loss and chronic ischemic disease. Suggestions?

A 68 year old man had a cat scan with these results: no acute intercranial process, advance volume loss, and chronic ischemic disease. what does this mean? he has been either hospitalized or in nursing home since XXXXXXX 17, 2011 with multiple system failures.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The CAT scan results indicate changes in the brain tissue that occur as result of long standing problem of decreased blood flow to the brain.

There are no on going problems detected in the current scan.

Advanced volume loss indicates age related and decreased blood flow induced changes in the brain. These two together cause a decrease in the brain substance and its volume.

His general condition may be related to the decreasing brain volume leading to a gradual loss of control of other systems hence a multiple system failure.

I am really sorry to hear the condition in which your loved one is in. I appreciate your initiative to understand his condition.

I sincerely hope I have answered your query. You can write back to me if you have any doubts or need any clarification. I would be glad to be any more help to you.