Carrier of G6PD, anxiety, loss of libido, over eating, short-tempered. Taking Antenex. Had depression and disc protrusion. Safe medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello i have been diagnosed with gp6d im female 40 I have been feeling anxiety loss libido over a yr and overeating and lose my temper easy when my 7 and 11 yr old are really loud which i shout i want something to make me feel good not drugged out and to help me lose weight . i'm currently on antenex but they do nothing for me.. which would be a safe medication that can cure these symptoms? how can i get a proper chemical balance of the brain to see what is wrong i suffered depression many yrs not severly was badly injured 15yr ago L4/5 C5/6 DISC PROTRUSION and lost my career sports etc i moved areas many yrs ago and have'nt found a doc that has properly diagnosed me theres times i feel like i will lose my sanity.previous dr had me on duromine which i have'nt been onover 6mths...pristiq 50mg which i nearly odeed and currently 5mg antenex and just found out i'm the carrier of gp6d my son has it... your advice will be greatly appreciated thankyou...XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later

I understand your concern regarding the problems you are suffering from. I empathize with you completely. I will do my best to help you.

Have you had any change in appetite, weight, sleep recently ?

Do you feel low mood at most times of the day ?

According to the clinical picture provided, it appears you may be suffering from possible mood disorder with anxiety.

Since you are on Antenex, this should be able to reduce anxiety but not take care of possible depressive illness.

Kindly consume a balanced diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily walking for 40 minutes a day, provided your back does not hurt during the time. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief.

You would need a good consult and Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) by a leading Psychiatrist which will help you very much in tiding over these problems. Also effective medication will help if required after your Doctor diagnoses your condition, should there be any depressive illness.

Regarding the slipped disc, a proper pain killer and muscle relaxant combination along with spine physiotherapy for slipped disc will do a lot in providing relief, unless surgery is indicated which will cure the condition.

Since you are only a carrier of G6PD, a good medication called Escitalopram will be very effective in tiding over symptoms of depression.

Most important is a healthy lifestyle and stress relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.