Care taker for 101 old mother. Giving stool softener every 5th day. Is it a good timing?

I'm the fulltime caretaker of my 101 year old mother. I give her a stool softener (Docusate Sodium 100 mg) every 5th day. When I noticed how hard her stools were 4 years ago, I would give her a stool softener once a day. As it began to work, I put more days in between each application. I also give her 1 or two prunes daily. She has a bowel movement every day. Now I only give her a stool softener every 5th day. Is
that good timing for the stool softener: every 5th day? Also, is two prunes a day

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 53 minutes later

Glad to know that you are able to take good care your mother.

The consistency of food consumed depend on the type of food consumed, the fiber content of the food and amount of fluid consumed. Prunes is one of the XXXXXXX source of fiber - very effective in increasing stool bulk and prrventing constipation. Since she is able to pass stools without concerns every day, I don't think once in every 5 days use of stool softener has any importance. You may as well wean off the softener gradually and use it only when needed.

I encourage you feed her plenty of fluids -if there are no specific restrictions. Continue with prunes. Add other fiber XXXXXXX rource like a banana, other dried fruits/nuts, XXXXXXX beans, dried soya and so on. I'm sure this will keep her free from hard and constipated stools.

All the best!

Let me know if you need clarification.