Cardiologist mentioned mild leaky valves. What are the percentage norms for leaky valves? Am I okay?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am a 48 year old male who in a recent visit with the cardiologist was told that everything thing looked fine (had echocardiogram, ekg, stress test, nuclear test and heart monitor). The only thing he mentioned was 3 leaky valves (less than 10%) that were mild at best and describe this as common and didn't seem at all concerned. Simply an annual checkup would follow and what appeared to me to be a clean XXXXXXX of health on my heart and valvular functions. Blood pressure was 124/78. What are the percentage norms for leaky valves (in terms of severity and concern), and am I OK?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 13 hours later

If we are looking at the regurgitation that is noted on Doppler evaluation, that's of trivial nature almost everyone would have it generally in one of the valves.

Most common is trivial which can be present in as high as 70-90%. Next will be mitral valve, which can go up and above 50% and aortic valve is less in younger age but again reach nearly everyone after 70yr of age.

Doppler detected regurgitation/leak has no implication whatsoever when they are mild and you don't have any symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Cardiologist mentioned mild leaky valves. What are the percentage norms for leaky valves? Am I okay? 2 days later
Is there anything I need to do in terms of prevention to promote healing or stop this condition from getting progressively worse? Also, of the 4 valves which is the worst to have leaking...again I have 3 valves that leak.

Thanks and look forward to your follow up....
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

When trivial none of them have any clinical significance and hence I can't grade one over the other and once they become significant or severe all are equally bad though for different reason.

In your case you don't have to do anything to prevent progression. As matter of fact and general suggestion of cardiac health I would suggest daily exercise best being 45-60min walk daily and dietary restriction of calories and fats.

Wish you good health.