Cardiogram shows heart attack, stress tests, no energy, shortness of breath. Treatment ?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Last week a heart doctor in our small town has told my husband that his cardiogram shows that he has had a heart attack. Starting tomorrow my husband is scheduled to have two days of stress tests. My husband has no energy and has shortness of breath. The doctor said the heart attach has happened in the lower part of his heart. Should I wait or should I get him to a hospital.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 hours later

In my opinion if you feel he has no energy than there is no point doing a treadmill test.

But I would like you to understand the plan of your doctor, as we do not do treadmill test for two days. It;s a test which takes only about twenty minutes and definitely not done over two days. Your doctor might have suggested something else.

If you are sure this is what your doctor has advised, he should see other cardiologist in person with all reports.

In my opinion, in case of heart attack being recent there can always be role for direct angiogram and further treatment without having to go through the treadmill test.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have additional queries, I will be pleased to address them.

Thanks and regards
Follow-up: Cardiogram shows heart attack, stress tests, no energy, shortness of breath. Treatment ? 1 hour later
His doctor is talking about doing a pharmocological stress test and a heart scan and more extensive tests. My question is since he seems so weak should we perhaps get him to a hospital before doing all these tests. He will have these tests starting day after tomorrow, Monday and more on Wednesday. Is there any chance that waiting that long could damage his heart further.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 13 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Pharmacological stress test and others can done even when patient feels weak. However person administering test will decide weather it's safe or not. I guess best is leave it to the discretion of the treating cardiologist. Though it can done on out patient if necessary they would admit especially if angiogram and further treatment is scheduled.

Finally to answer your question it is important not to delay in getting the right investigation and treatment. It may need to seek the medical help at a tertiary centre where XXXXXXX lab facilities are available.

Wish him Good Health.