Carcinogenic substances found in baby powder. Should we use this?

FDA suspends licence of XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX

By Niticentral Staff on April 29, 2013

167 Print

Tags: FDA, Food and Drug Administration, XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX FDA suspends license, XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX license suspended, carcinogenic substances found, talcum powder sterilised by ethylene oxide, unacceptable levels of ethylene oxide, trigger for cancer

FDA suspends license of XXXXXXX & JohnsonThe Maharashtra Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the apex body for food and drug products in the State, has reportedly suspended the licence of XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX the multinational healthcare and consumer products major, to manufacture cosmetic products at their Mulund plant.

As per reports, the order was issued in a case dating back to 2007 when residues of carcinogenic substances were found in 15 batches of XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX baby powder. And later it was found out that the residue was found because that the talcum powder was sterilised by ethylene oxide which in is carcinogenic and irritant.

As per a report in The New Indian Express, XXXXXXX B Shende, FDA joint commissioner (drugs), said: “There were unacceptable levels of ethylene oxide, which is a trigger for cancer. Ethylene oxide was being used to bring down microbial load in the powder by sterilisation. But it was found that there was ethylene oxide residue in the talcum powder, which is primarily used on infants. In light of this, we have suspended the licence.”

The spokesperson of XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX was quoted in the report saying, “The FDA raised concerns about following ethylene oxide treatment, which was not included as part of the manufacturing process submitted to the FDA.”

As per the reports, the order will become effective from 24 XXXXXXX

Can you verify the authenticity of the reports appearing in newspapers.

Because all these years any body who wants children products they go for XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX

My daughter is 8 months old. I am already using XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX products.

Awaiting your reply anxiously.

Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

I appreciate your concern.

Ethylene oxide (ETO) is used routinely for sterilization of many medical equipment that get into body. Side effects of same are often related to long term exposure, and safer agents being available.

The risks are of high magnitude at the plants where ETO process is carried out. ETO levels in a product almost become negligible if the product is left to open air for 4 days.

Thus the ETO issue with the said company is more of technical than causing actually cancer in a child.
This does not permit me to speak against law. So if a thing is banned I can not permit some one to use it unless life saving.

There are alternative products in market and luckily get. Unnoticed of ETO issue as all depends on media. How much to raise it. This issue is easy to overcome for any company.

I am neither an authority to authenticate, nor permitted to favor a specific company in public communication.

If the licensing body was so serious about the ban, all the products would have been made to withdraw from market without giving a future dead line and from the current time.

Newspapers and media do spice up matters, as long as science or law doesn't prove or punish one.
Read this link WWW.WWWW.WW
It suggests a simple aeration for 12 hrs at 60 Degree will make it risk free. Don't you think company won't adapt this?

Whatever, though I may use same for my baby... I cannot recommend it at this controversial stage.

Doctors have been often talking negative about this product since years due to allergy issues.

Hope that solves your dilemma. Thanks.