Carbuncle on back, recurring condition, surgery to remove it. Healing process and prevention techniques ?

Hi, My mother is having a carbuncle on back. This is second time that she had this carbuncle. Now, each time we have operated the carbuncle to get it removed. But we need to understand
1. How to heal it after operation?
2. How to prevent it and make fix this tenancy.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Recurrence of carbuncles is usually seen due to -
Diabetes- uncontrolled diabetes predisposes the body tissues to repeated infections. Every flaring up of diabetes might be associated with infections in some part of the body.
Immunocompromised state- like chronic repeated illness. If the boy's innate immunity is compromised there is every chance of flaring up of infections.
After surgery, treatment is done by adequate oral or intravenous antibiotic therapy for radical removal of all the infecting organisms.
To increase the innate immunity, blood glucose levels must be controlled adequately. Doing regular exercise, aerobics, losing extra weight, having vitamin C supplements, outdoor activities, etc might also help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Carbuncle on back, recurring condition, surgery to remove it. Healing process and prevention techniques ? 11 hours later
The answer is not as expected.
Diabetes, is controlled and no other medication is there for the same which she is taking.
In case intravenous antibiotic therapy for radical removal is require, please provide medicine names.
Her weight is 50 Kg @ 56 years is OK I suppose.
Her glucose levels and others are also normal.
I know information about carbuncles, am looking for some Rx type of remedies, if you are not willing to share Medicine Prescription, please let me know.
Also, your inputs on the image attached and what you suggest in what time it will get healed, something like what a doctor would have told me if I have visited you at your office.

I hope I have made my expectations clear.. and also provided the current health state of patient at fullest as per your requirements.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Regarding the image, the wound is XXXXXXX and might take 4-6 weeks to heal completely.
The choice of antibiotic depends on the culture sensitivity of the wound.
Regular blood glucose levels monitoring is needed both fasting and post prandial every week during the treatment. Please provide the details of her last blood glucose levels ( done in last one month)- the date of test, timings with respect to food intake and the readings.
Direct clinical examination is a must in such patients to prescribe any medicines. It is best to get the required antibiotics prescribed from her treating physician.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.