Cannot sleep, feel thirsty and hot. Is this a hormone problem? Am going through menopause

I am now 51 and am going through the change. For the last 2 weeks I can not sleep at night, feel thirsty, and hot even with the air conditioner on. So during the day I feel tired and cranky. Is this a hormone problem?
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Your symptoms sound like menopausal symptoms. Its common for women to have hot flashes and mood swings when menopause approaches. Actually, the only treatment for this remains stroke, cancer and heart attack. So only if the symptoms are very severe, then you should even consider speaking to your physician about it. However, there are other thinks that will make you feel better:
•     Try and identify what triggers your hot flashes. Common triggers include spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, stress, or being in a hot place.
•     Dressing in layers and removing some of them when a hot flash starts may be a good idea.
•     If you still have your periods, consider speaking to your physician about oral contraceptives.
•     Try taking slow, XXXXXXX breaths when a flash starts.
•     If you’re overweight, losing weight might help with hot flashes, according to one recent study.

Feeling tired and cranky are a part of the mood swings. They can be managed effectively by using anti-depressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors which will help tremendously. Staying active physically and socially will help as well.

Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns