Cannot rotate leg after giving birth. Why is there pain and weakness now? What can be done?

I gave birth 10 months ago and now I cannot rotate one of my legs correctly. At first, it was just trouble with rotation, but now there is pain, I walk with a limp, and I have weakness in the hip joint and trouble sometimes even lifting my leg. I cannot sit indian-style or spread my legs far apart. I cannot comfortably have sex because of this and because of scarring from perineal tearing.

What can be done about my leg? I am getting very depressed as it is affecting every aspect of my life and I don't have insurance so I cannot go to a specialist.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description, it seems that you are suffering from calcium and vitamin D3 deficiency. The other possible causes are chronic arthritis may be infective like tubercular.
As a primary treatment, you can start with a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen and hot fomentation of the affected joint.
You need to have calcium and vitamin D3 supplements on regular basis.
At the same time, you need proper diet XXXXXXX in Vit D like fish, liver, and processed milk.
In case the symptoms do not improve over next 2 weeks or are aggravated then blood investigations and MRI of the hip are needed to find out the cause.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Cannot rotate leg after giving birth. Why is there pain and weakness now? What can be done? 22 hours later
I know that tendons and ligaments loosen up due to the hormones released in pregnancy also. Do you think it may have something to do with that as well? I looked up "Pelvic Girdle Pain" and it seemed to indicate that this may be related to the tendons and ligaments not tightening back up properly. I will make sure that I have enough calcium and D3 - but if that were the problem, wouldn't I have problems in both legs and not just on one side?

Also, the joint is "stuck XXXXXXX meaning that I cannot move it beyond a certain point. Is this a symptom of arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Pelvic girdle pain is less likely as the loosening up of ligaments is more prominent during pregnancy and less so after that.
In case of calcium and D3 deficiency, pain can be unilateral also. Affection of both the hips equally is not necessary.
The symptoms are suggestive of arthritis too for which you need proper investigations in case the calcium supplements do not help in adequate improvement.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.