Cannot lock hands. What are muscle disorders? What are the available treatments?

hi, how are you?
what are muscle disorders? I think I have one. I can't lock my hands from behind at all. I can't even make the tip of my hands reach from behind my back but my mom can. I have been told that I have muscle disorder? I think this is why I get injured a lot. I think this is the case with all of my muscles. do I have a muscle disorder? if yes what are the available treatments? thanks bye.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 8 hours later
Muscle disorders are primarily of 2 types, one is a degenerative type of condition called muscular dystrophies and the other is inflammatory called myositis.
From what you are describing, it seems like the former.
The way to confirm this is by a physical examination to see the power of muscles and any associated condition like sensory involvement.
And by tests like muscle enzymes called CPK, aldolase, LDH.
The other is a muscle biopsy and an EMG.
In addition, MRI of the involved muscles can be helpful.
The treatment largely depends on the etiology of the problem.
Sometimes hypothyroididm, osteomalacia and other endocrine problems can produce similar clinical features.
Follow-up: Cannot lock hands. What are muscle disorders? What are the available treatments? 10 hours later
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by the former? You mean the degenerative type which is according to you muscular dystrophy? Thanks bye
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 11 hours later
yes right,
I meant that any kind of muscle dystrophy or endocrine causes like hypothyroidism and osteomalacia should be ruled out first.
these should be first done by doing muscle enzymes and later by others like EMG and biopsies.
Follow-up: Cannot lock hands. What are muscle disorders? What are the available treatments? 14 hours later
Is there a cure for muscle disorders? I know I don't have hypothyroidism however I'm at risk for it so my doctor checks my blood for it every 6to 12 months but my thyroid is functioning fine right now. I don't know about osteomalacia. I don't think I've been checked for it.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 10 hours later
Most of the secondary causes like endocrine disorders and inflammatory myositis are curable.
However the muscular dystrophies are slowly progressive problems, and dont really have a complete cure. But some of the mild conditions may only require exercises to keep them under control.