Cannot hear voice over phone. Which devise to use to amplify voice?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi !
my mother today is 82 years old . she is an old woman . she lives in Africa and me , i live in England . Every time if i call her on the phone , she can not hear me properly i have to shout when i am speaking . Which device can i buy for her to amplify my voice from her ears and where can i buy it ?
Thank you .
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your mother probably has age induced hearing loss (Presbyacusis). This is usually seen as a hearing loss in the higher frequencies. Therefore consonants are not heard clearly, though vowel sounds may be heard. Hence speech is heard but clarity is lost.

2. She requires a hearing aid, preferably a programmable, digital device. The fitting required an ear examination, an Audiogram, a special ear mould and a trial should be done with different models of hearing aids.

3. If she is already using a hearing aid, she may require a telecoil as most hearing aids are not adapted for use with a telephone.

4. Threfore it is difficult for you to buy any device off the shelf for her. Analog devices are usually unsuitable for the elderly as they also have a phenomenon known as Recruitment which gives rise to abnormal intensity of loud sounds. Programmable, digital hearing aids can compensate this to some extent.

5. If she does not want to use a hearing aid you may buy her a smartphone and download a amplification app for her to use with earphones.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Cannot hear voice over phone. Which devise to use to amplify voice? 3 hours later
Hi !
If i buy for her an IN EAR ADJUSTABLE SOUND AMPLIFIER HEARING AID KIT, will it work ? she will hear me ?

THANK YOU.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Any amplification device will help.

2. However you will require professional help for adjusting the hearing aid to suit her hearing levels. This is a complex procedure, otherwise she may not get the full benefit of the hearing aid in the speech frequencies ( though she may be able to hear loud environmental sounds).

3. The only way is to take a trial with the chosen device.

Regards.