Cannot eat spicy or non-vegetarian food, tablets cause constipation and severe headache, previous loose motion

Hi Doctor,
I had stomach upset one month back. I had loosies and my BP went low. I took tablets for 5 days and bland food. Then I felt OK but I still cannot take spicy food or non veg. Last week I ate non veg and got the same symptoms back. If I take tablets then I get constipation with severe head ache. I am very worried about health becoz after this problem I feel very weak and fatigued. Physical activities that I used to do with ease once now make me very tired. My age is 26. I also had urine test done when I was sick and it came out normal. The fact that the illness has lasted for one month scares me. So please help me out.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 23 hours later

Based on your history, I think you had an acute infective diarrhoea.

On and off symptoms after an infective diarrhoea could be due to:

Post diarrhoea there could be some changes in the intestinal mucosa which can bring back the symptoms if you eat fatty food (Non veg) or consume milk and milk products.

Antibiotics also cause or worsen such mucosal changes and also alter the intestinal flora.

Some of the infective diarrhoeas can have a persistent phase, as in case of bacteria like shigella and yersinia or parasites like amoeba. Rarely, such episodes can be the first manifestation of intestinal inflammatory disease.

Certain tests like stool examination, complete hemogram and a serum CRP (C reactive protein) quantitative may help to differentiate them.

Meantime, avoid milk, spicy and non veg foods and take some vitamin and zinc supplements along with some probiotics.

Hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Cannot eat spicy or non-vegetarian food, tablets cause constipation and severe headache, previous loose motion 15 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor.

Is there a way to get rid of intestinal mucosa? How long should I avoid fatty foods and milk? If have to take these foods to test myself (or my health) and still have infection and cant take anitbiotics, since its going to make the mucosa worse, what should it do in such circumstances?

Will stomach cleansing help? I live in chennai. Can you suggest a good Gastroenterologist, who I can consult to take the tests you mentioned?

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 10 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Intestinal mucosa is an integral part of your intestines and cannot be got rid off.

Avoid milk & fatty food for atleast 2 weeks.

The tests mentioned are meant to help differentiate the various causes and any further discussion will be based on them.

Stomach cleansing will not help in this condition.

We are quite away from Chennai and you need to do your own research, but TS XXXXXXX may be a good choice.

Or there are patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Wish you good health.