Ask a Urologist   »  

Cannot control bladder pressure. Have high blood pressure. Any treatment?

I am a 67 year old woman, who works in a nursing home, and I am tired all the time, but cannot sleep at night sometimes. Do you have any ideas how to solve the problem and why am I tired even though I may have a good night sleep? I would like to know why I can't control my bladder and have to wear pads? How do you know when your kidneys are not working good? I have high blood pressure and PAD. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 19 minutes later
Hello Madam,

I would try to answer your queries one by one.

First of all let me address problem of tiredness and lack of sleep.

Although it is quiet common that as age progresses, the quality of sleep is reduced but the tiredness can be due to anaemia, which is again common in old age. So please get your haemoglobin checked soon.

Next regarding not able to control urine. In my view you are suffering from a disorder called as urinary incontinence, which is due to urinary sphincter weakness. There are different types like stress incontinence, overflow incontinence etc. We need to find the type to treat better. For this you must XXXXXXX a gynaecologist for a thorough check up.

Last about kidney involvement. The kidneys keep working till the end. That is, for an obvious symptom to be apparent the kidney need to be damaged more than 50 %. So an yearly ultra sound examination is a good way to detect early kidney problems. The Gynecologist will be able to make preliminary investigation to refer you to concerned specialist.

Hope I answered your query.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further doubts.

Thank you.