Canker sores, quit smoking, queens delight, dry tongue, pimples and burning, treatment ?

ENT Specialist
hi I have been suffering for 4 years with canker sores since I quit smoking. I had them constantly then 1 month ago I started takng this queens delight all natural made from bees 1000 mg royal jelly 600 mg propolis, 1500 mg of bee pollen i have not had a canker sore in 25 days. I do have at this point is a very dry tongue with a little pimple in front of tongue my tongue feels like it is dry and burning on top about 1 inch to end when looking at my tongue my nerves are just moving like crazy it feels like it is on fire or dryed out! What should I do for my tongue can I put like nyastastin cream on or some type of sauve. This has happened x's three. please help
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Canker sores, quit smoking, queens delight, dry tongue, pimples and burning, treatment ? 20 minutes later
is it ok to rinse my mouth with peroxide i have been doing that after i brush my teeth
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Canker sores also called as Aphthous ulcers in the oral cavity are sometimes very distressing. It is mainly due to stress. The other causes include lack of nutrition, consumption of excessive hot and spicy food, consumption of alcohol and caffeine, etc.

As you mentioned in your query that 'as long as you were taking naturally made products you did not have any ulcers' that means, your ulcers could be due to nutrition deficiency.

I would like to suggest you few things to get rid of these canker sores:
     Drink plenty of water
     Reduce stress if any
     Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables as they are good source of vitamins
     Avoid greasy food, excessive coffee/tea/alcohol
     Take B-Complex tablets for few days
     You can use local applicants like Bonjela Mouth Ulcer gel, Smyle Mouth Ulcer gel and if the ulcer persists you can use Kenalog in orabase (only after consulting your doctor)

     Do not use Nystatin cream or Hydrogen peroxide mouth wash (this will cause mucosal irritation)

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more doubts, I will be available to answer them as well.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Canker sores, quit smoking, queens delight, dry tongue, pimples and burning, treatment ? 1 hour later
Why did this all start after I quit smoking. Was smoking a way that I relieved stress. My job is very very stressfull. What would be more wise start smoking or suffer with canker sores? They are stating find a way to control stress. But when I do get stressed I feel my whole body transform and than my mouth breaks out. Or should I consider seeing a dr for a medication to control stress?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Sometimes, smoking can actually be beneficial in preventing these ulcers, but there are no documentations to validate this concept. As, you are going through lots of stress, it is indeed wise to consult a good psychiatrist and get counseling done as well as to perform de-stressing exercises. It is not good to resort to smoking even though it might give you temporary relief, but it will lead to dependency. In a long run, you might have to face health related problems because of the smoking.

Best advice for you is to do de-stressing exercises, eat healthy and wholesome food, drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and avoid smoking.

Wish you Good Health