Cancer. Periods had stopped after chemo therapy. Noticed bleeding. Normal?

I had cancer when I was 13, after extensive chemo and a BMT I stopped getting my period (I had, had it for about a year prior). I am now 22 and today I noticed bleeding (nothing extensive), which appeared to remind me of my period. The past few weeks I have also had very sore breasts and clear discharge from my nether regions. Not sure what's going on?
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 36 minutes later
Thanks for writing in
It seems that your ovarian function is recovering back to some extant as your breast symptoms, this bleeding ( which may actually represent your period) & clear discharge ( which may represent normal secretions) may all indicate the presence of female hormones in your body. These hormones are normally produced by ovaries. I suggest you should report all these symptoms to your treating specialist ( whoever is following you up after your treatment). The doctor will do necessary investigation to confirm that all this is normal & to reassure you.
Hope you are having regular follow up with your doctor & are in good health. Your doctor will also examine you to rule out any pathological cause of your bleeding.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you have any question.
Wish you good health & best of luck.
Follow-up: Cancer. Periods had stopped after chemo therapy. Noticed bleeding. Normal? 18 hours later
Hi Dr. Kulsoom,

Thank you for your reply. That is what I suspected might be going on, but thought I'd give a professional a shout. The bleeding only lasted for yesterday and appears to be done. Given the nature of my medical history, as well as the fact that I haven't had my period for about eight years, is this normal? I will be in touch with my doctor, but thought I'd follow up and ask.

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
You are welcome with all your questions.
Yes this can happen as long as the ovaries & the uterus are present in your body.
You are very young & I also recommend you to see a gynecologist to review your ovarian function. If your ovaries are recovering from the trauma they have had, this is very good. Otherwise you should discuss the option of HRT ( doctor, so that, your body is protected from the adverse effects related to the deficiency of female sex hormones. This should be a joint decision by your cancer specialist & gynecologist to optimize outcome & to ensure safty. You may have normal periods with this treatment. This treatment may prove very good for you both psychologically & physically.
Hope my answer is helpful for you. Please write back if you have anything to discuss.
Wish you good health.
Best wishes.