CanTSH level be the reason for weight gain?

My daughter has aTSH level of 4.6. Could this bebthe reason for her weight? She is 8 yrs old 4 1/2 feet tall and 106lbs. Diet and exercise hasn't helped
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I'll try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

It depends on the laboratory in which the test was performed. But generally a TSH of 4.6 is within the normal range. I do not think she has any type of thyroid disorder going on.

While I think she is mildly overweight; I would not categorize her current weight as dangerously obese. I would encourage you to make an appointment with a nutritionist and possibly a personal trainer to consider options for your daughter. It is important that you have a complete analysis of her daily diet in order to see if there are certain foods which she tends to migrate towards which might be contributing to her mild weight gain.

If she is exercising every day for at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours and still gaining weight, you might consider visiting an endocrinologist but I really don't think that is necessary at this point. A nutritionist would be able to help pinpoint certain changes in the diet which might facilitate a slow and gradual degree of weight loss.

Again I do not think your daughter is in any danger. I think you could obtain good results by seeking the consultations as I have suggested .

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.