Can you suggest an identity to a bed insect that cannot be seen, but is a night biter?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Can ypu suggest an identity to a bed insect that cannot be seen, but is a night biter and has not been destroyed by Permethrin Cream, or other creams and ointments.We have condsidered Scaibes, but it's lack of response tends to rule it out.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bed insects Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to health care magic. Most common night biting insects which are very small and can be easily missed are mites which cause scabies and bed bugs or Cimex lectularius (Cimicidae) which are as small as 1 mm in size and can be easily missed. These infest beddings and old furniture and can cause small itchy red bumps which respond very well to steroid creams and antiallergic medications rather than permethrin. Scratching should be avoided as this might cause bacterial infection of the rashes. I suggest you get your bedding and linen checked for these bugs and get in touch with a pest control service. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.
Follow-up: Can you suggest an identity to a bed insect that cannot be seen, but is a night biter? 2 hours later
The use of a steroid cream would suggest application after one has been bitten.This would not prevent the awful sting of the bite. Is there anything to be used on the whole body before going to bed, or is the steroid just for local irritation.Which anti-histamine do you recommend, and should it be used during the period when the bugs are active? I assume these would not do anything about getting rid of the bugs, which would be up to a pest control service.We have been sprayed once, the whole apartment in two hours and no follow up, which I don't believe is adequate. What do you recommend for irradicating the bugs? We have had a dog snifter, said to be 95% accurate for bed bugs, who found two areas. Are Cimex lectuarius a species of bed bugs,too small to be seen, and would this rule out Scaibies?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Bed bugs eradication Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You are right that steroid can be used on the bitten area to reduce the itchiness and inflammation and does not prevent the bugs from biting. Antihistamines like Tab Atarax can be used twice daily to relieve the itching and redness and not to prevent the bed bugs biting. The only effective way of prevention would be identifying the infected areas and getting them sprayed by pesticides. Look for bed bugs, blood stains, droppings and eggs. Start by looking in an area 10-20 feet around where you sleep or sit. That's the distance a bed bug will usually travel. Check mattresses, box XXXXXXX bed frames and bedding. Check cracks and crevices in bedroom furniture, floor boards and baseboards, windows and door frames. Check walls and wall hangings. To get rid of bed bugs, you must choose the right company, be clear about what you want done and monitor performance. Employ qualified, well-trained pest management professionals rather than doing it yourself. I suggest you visit this web link below for more details on bed bugs and reliable pest control services in your state. I hope I have helped you with this answer. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.
Follow-up: Can you suggest an identity to a bed insect that cannot be seen, but is a night biter? 33 hours later
There was no web page for the url above. Orkun and XXXXXXX have good reputations in this community. Are the 1 mm bugs of the same species as the larger, ordinary bed bugs?. We have had dogs point out a few areas but nothing has been seen, though I continue to be bitten and they say the dogs are spcific for bed bugs.Have tried many things, but whole body Aquaphor has, at least, prevented the bugs from access to me.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Bed bugs Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Please try the url again. It gives details about all kinds of bed bugs and how to identify and prevent them. If you have identified some areas in the house which might be infested, I suggest you go ahead and get the reliable pest service you mentioned to deal with them and also make sure they come for follow up. Bed bugs vary in size smallest being 1mm which can be easily missed. Aquaphor is a petroleum jelly and does not prevent the bed bugs to bite you but may sooth the skin if bitten. I suggest you get those bites examined by a nearby doctor to rule out allergy. Thanks