Can you suggest a safe medicine to delay menses for a week?

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Rogala, I am going on a vacation to the beach on 20th of July and my period date falls around the same time, Can you suggest a safe medicine that I can take to delay my menses for a week. I am 28years old and married for 3 years, i do not take any contraceptive pills, or I am not allergic to any medicine, however i have some amount of migraine problem.

My weight is 67 kgs and I am 5 ft 2 inches tall.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

If you are not taking the combined oral contraceptive pill then a hormone tablet called norethisterone can be prescribed. The dose is 5 mg three times a day starting 3-4 days before a period is due. It can be continued for up to two weeks or so until you want to have a period. Your period will then normally begin 2-3 days after stopping it. Norethisterone is normally safe to take. Some women have side-effects such as bloating, stomach upset, breast discomfort and reduced libido (sex drive).

How does this work?
Norethisterone is a progestogen hormone. Progestogens are hormones that sustain the lining of the uterus. Normally at the time before a period there is a fall in the level of progestogen hormone in the body. When it falls below a certain level, the lining of the uterus is shed as menstrual period. By taking norethisterone tablets (progestogen) the lining of the uterus is sustained until the tablet is stopped.
NORETHISTERONE comes by the name of
NORGEST 5 mg etc
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Can you suggest a safe medicine to delay menses for a week? 8 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX I had known of a drug called Deviry 10mg tab suggested by a friend, but wanted a good medical consultation before going for it!

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any thing any time.