Can you suggest a good place and treatment plan to cure scleroderma ?

It appears that my daughter in law has scleroderma - I say appears because her doctors have run a bunch of tests and are leaning towards scleroderma vs. Crohns. She has had Reynaud's for a while and has some skin thickening but around January she started complaining about severe stomach aches and now she is on TPN, her upper intestine is distended to 6" vs. 2.5" normal, she cannot tolerate any food and even has issues with clear liquids. Doctors have tried anti-biotic treatments etc. Is there a definitive best place to get treated for this version of scleroderma?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 7 hours later
Hi Shulman,

Thank you for your query,

Scleroderma is also called progressive systemic sclerosis(PSS),a progressive disorder characterized by diffuse involvement of connective tissue of skin, thickening of skin & fibrous deposition in certain XXXXXXX organs.There are two basic types 1) diffuse cutaneous scleroderma and 2) limited cutaneous scleroderma.In diffuse variety there is involvement of other XXXXXXX organs also.

Now the choice of doctor depends upon which all organs are involved in this case.There is a define involvement of gastrointestine with feature like heartburn and dysphagia etc,Which is obvious in your case too.

Treatment is frustrating and is of different types.Depends which all organs are involved .You can start with seeing a dermatologist who can then refer the case according to the need of the patient.You would also need the help of a gastroenterologist as your patient has symptoms relating to stomach.

D-penicillamine is a good option but has various side effects too.This would depend upon the severity of the disease .Other anti fibrotic agents can be also be used.
I don't know where you belong to ,but there are various organisations and societies for scleroderma in the world where you can contact for treatment and guidance and even doctors who are dedicatedly dealing with such cases.Couple of web sites are : & WWW.WWWW.WW I hope this of some use to you.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries’.

Dr.Bharat Chawda