Can you help me out to reduce the pimple on my face and improve my skin tone?

Dec 2013

Hi Doctor, can you help me out to reduce the pimple on my face and improve my skin tone as me and my mife are facing the same problem
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly send details with high resolution pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for pimple on face and improve the skin tone in you and your wife (as I can get "mife"). Before I guide you best regarding your concern can you please let me know certain important points from both of you so that I can guide you further.: For you: - Since how long the problem of acne and pigmentation is present. - How many pimples you get in a week and are these big ones. - Your job profile. -Any illness in last 1 year or any event of stress in last 1 year. - Any medications consumed in recent 6 months to 12 months. Or any substance abuse like alcohol or smoking (if yes then how frequently). For your wife: -Since how long the problem of acne and pigmentation is present. - How many pimples she gets in a week and are these big ones. -Her job profile. - her future planning for pregnancy or feeding baby. -Any illness in last 1 year or any event of stress in last 1 year. - History of delayed menses. - what is grade of pigmentation - mild/ moderate/ deep dark. It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of the face area of you and your wife from front and side so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). Hope to hear soon from your side. Wish you good health. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology & STD)
Follow-up: Can you help me out to reduce the pimple on my face and improve my skin tone? 41 hours later
Am facing these problem from past 6 years while i get 3 to 4 small size pimples in a week, that creates a mark and hole in my face. As am a Electrical Engineer. Nothing like that no illness from past 1 year. I do Smoke & i consume 8 sticks per day & alcohol i have beer once in three months. My wife is facing these problems from past 8 years. She gets 4 to 6 big ones. Illness like food poison. Menses got delayed before last month for 60 days. Pigmentation grade was Deep dark Ill send you the images at present i don't have any pictures
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer: clindamycin and adaplene gel application Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting all the important details so that I can now guide you better. I was waiting for the pictures so that the exact grade of acne as well as pigmentation could be analyzed. Even then the information provided are now sufficient to guide most of the part of my suggestions. Before I proceed to your issue let me explain you elaborately regarding pimples- Acne or pimples in most of teenage people starts appearing at the age of 13-14 years and then almost vanishes by the age of 25-30 years. In some f the cases it may get prolonged beyond the age of 30 years. I can see you are young man of 25 years and your wife also must be around your age so both of you can get pimples. The main cause of pimple formation is basically due to hormones (chemicals which are influencing one or other body functions) in addition to the influence of certain other factors causing its aggravation. The hormone plays the most important role in high oil secretion and increase the size of oil glands. As the pores or ducts of the glands are blocked so it leads to formation of pimples. There are certain other factors such as application of oily or creamy products, over exposure to sunlight, heat and humidity or due to pinching, popping and squeezing of the pimples and sometimes over medications also leads to formation of pimples. In yourself one important cause is smoking too as 8 sticks per day is quite high. Once these are healing they leave the most problematic thing which are either marks or scars. There are certain best of suggestions which both of you can follow : 1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area on face. 2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face. 3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also. Most of he times any of the home remedies blocks more of the pores and results in more aggravation of pimples. 4. Do not take steam or steam bath or massage on your face as these also aggravates the pimples. 5. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours. 6. Kindly do not use any antibiotic as self medication. 7. Do not apply any hair oil on scalp or apply in very less amount. Wash your scalp daily with some good shampoo and let there be no dandruff in your scalp (because dandruff itself causes blockage of pores of oil glands and then pimples). For the part of best of management- Though in most of the cases isotretinoin is considered as the mainstay of therapy but as you are married couple so isotretinoin can not be given if you are planning baby in near future. Therefore in my opinion it should be taken care of by simple of measure of topical and oral management. For the same kindly follow the regimen below: - If I were your treating dermatologist then would have suggested you apply a gel based topical application containing clindamycin and adaplene gel ( Deriva C gel). It should be applied at night time only. A very thin application of gel is sufficient on the affected area only so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. You may feel mild to moderate of burning sensation if you are applying on higher side. So a mere touching of the gel is sufficient. - I suggest my patients to take oral antibiotic such as Azithromycin 500 mg 4 days per week for 3 weeks. - Do not apply any other creams or any moisturisers or anything else on your face. - Do not take any other oral stuff as vitamins and minerals as these will not help at all in reducing the intensity of the problem. - Now despite 4 weeks of proper treatment if you do not feel better then additionally isotretinoin can be added as per strict dermatological supervision only and only in the condition that you are not planning baby in near future. - For the part of pigmentation and marks it is always better to treat the root cause of the problem first that is the pimples first. Even then a cream containing azelaic acid cream or Kojic acid cream or licorice extract or arbutine creams at night time in guidance of dermatologist for the spots is quite helpful in long term. In your wife an additional workup for hormones is required to take care of any imbalance in hormones and therefore delayed menses. A gynecologist would be better guide to look after delayed menses as well as the part of hormonal imbalance accordingly. For you young man especially I suggest to quit smoking as it is one of the main cause of stress as well as increase in pimples. Hope these informations will help you. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Can you help me out to reduce the pimple on my face and improve my skin tone? 15 hours later
Thank You Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks For your valuable suggestions, Am trying to quit the smoking I will reduce it ASAP. Regrads XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Eat best of your diet & reduce stress Detailed Answer: Hello young fellow, I am really happy to know that you got the crux of the suggestions. It is the best the thing that you are trying to quit smoking. Eat best of your diet and reduce your stress of any kind. All my best wishes for you and your family's health. I will be glad to answer any further of your queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer. In future if you have any skin related queries then can ask me directly on : Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)