Ask a Urologist   »  

Can you give me information about Staphylococcus simulans?

ENT Specialist
My four year old daughter was diagnosed with a UTI, it cultured S. similans. I work in public health but am not familiar with this type of staphylococcus. Can you give me any information?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 31 minutes later

Let me try to provide some important information about this pathogen.

Staphylococcus simulans is a coagulase-negative pathogen, found both in humans and animals.

It is primarily acquired through contact with domestic animals. Mainly responsible animals are rats and birds.

In humans, the pathogen has been isolated in intravascular and indwelling catheters and associated with conditions including urinary tract infections, septicemia, conjunctivitis, and endocarditis.

One of the most common disease caused by this organism is osteomyelitis of foot.

It is generally sensitive to following antibiotics----

We prefer iv antibiotics, for atleast 14 days during treatment.

In your daughter's case, consult an urologist for further management. It is not a serious organism. Don't worry, your daughter will be alrite.

Hope, this information will help you. AND I am available to answer your follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Can you give me information about Staphylococcus simulans? 2 hours later
Her Dr. has prescribed macrodantin. Do you think that will treat it? We do have cats in the house, is this something that could be passed through contact with their urine?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 8 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Yes, macrodantin will certainly help, but it may cause diarrhoea and slight dizziness. It is a potent antibiotic.

Keep your daughter away from pets and it may be a possibility that the transmission was through contact with urine.

Give her plenty of fluids , maintain all possible hygiene. Do not worry she will be all right.