Can you get HIV if a person whilst speaking spits out saliva and that enters into your mouth?

Question
Can you get hiv if a person, whilst speaking to you spits out saliva and that enters into your own mouth ?? What if the person was spitting blood at the same time? If that enters my mouth, could I get hiv ?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

The chances of getting HIV infection by the mixing of the salivary secretions is very low, although it can not be ruled out completely.

Blood mixed saliva increases the chances even more, although the actual chances of getting the infection will also depend on some other factors like any wounds in the recipient mouth, quantity, duration and the actual degree of the infectivity of the infected person.

To be sure get the HIV test done , but remember it needs to be repeated in 8-10 weeks to rule out window period.

Thanks.

Please let me know f you need further information.

Follow-up: Can you get HIV if a person whilst speaking spits out saliva and that enters into your mouth? 3 minutes later
I was the recipient. I don't have any visible cuts or sores in my mouth. If I wait 8 weeks and test negative, would this be conclusive ?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 minutes later
The chances are very low if there are no cuts or sores in the mouth.

Get the test done now and repeat in 8-10 weeks, if both are negative , it is pretty much conclusive.

Follow-up: Can you get HIV if a person whilst speaking spits out saliva and that enters into your mouth? 9 minutes later
If I get a test done at 5 weeks then repeat at 8 weeks, if both are negative, would this be fully conclusive? Will I not need to repeat at 12 weeks

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 15 minutes later
It is better to do it right now and then at 10 -12 weeks.

You do not want to wait for more than a month if a person is infected now as delay can effect the treatment. Repeating at 10-12 weeks is to rule out the window period infections.