Can you discuss in depth the health insurance portability and accountability act?

Can you discuss in DEPTH the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). I really need to hear back soon my friend is going to the hospital tomorrow and wants me to explain it to him in great detail please.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX HIPAA has been written in very detail and it is hard to discuss all the aspects of the Act in this forum. But I can try my best to discuss the main points of the Act. It came into effect, as electronic medical records are being used in the American Health care System. The use of this system resluted in some issues regarding privacy of records. Thus in this Act they described the protocols to be followed while transferring the records, a standard health plan identifier and a standard for electronic funds transfer. Thus they came up with some guidelines to adopted for maintaining privacy of the patient records. What is HIPAA? HIPAA is the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996. HIPAA does the following: • Provides the ability to transfer and continue health insurance coverage for millions of American workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs; • Reduces health care fraud and abuse; • Mandates industry-wide standards for health care information on electronic billing and other processes; and • Requires the protection and confidential handling of protected health information Health Insurance Portability There have been provisions in HIPAA addressing the ability to retain health coverage in many circumstances. What is HIPAA? Protection and Confidential Handling of Health Information The HIPAA Privacy regulations require health care providers and organizations, as well as their business associates, develop and follow procedures that ensure the confidentiality and security of protected health information (PHI) when it is transferred, received, handled, or shared. This applies to all forms of PHI, including paper, oral, and electronic, etc. Furthermore, only the minimum health information necessary to conduct business is to be used or shared. The health departments and clinics need to comply with these recommendations. Let me know if you have specific questions regarding this Act and we can discuss them further. Dr Vaishalee