Can yeast cause tailbone pain? Why does it hurt to sit and tender to touch? Why is it not improving?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I read on a website that yeast can cause tailbone pain? Is that true? I have been having unexplained pain in my tailbone since early march. It is painful to sit, lie on my back and very tender to touch. I have been using a pillow with a hole for the coccyx for 3 weeks, but it does not seem to be improving. What else could cause sudden unexplained pain in that area?
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Mild and occasional back pain may be caused by a persistent yeast infection but a persistent pain in tailbone is more likely to be due to bone related causes like coccydynia.
An X-ray and MRI of the area will help in identifying the exact cause of your problem and to rule out any joint displacement or fracture. Consulting an Orthopedician will be helpful. Treatment usually involves mild pain killers and a hot fomentation to relieve the local inflammation. In case the symptoms are persistent then local steroid injections and surgery might be needed.
You can follow these lifestyle modifications for some relief:
1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, this will avoid constipation and pain while passing stools.
2.) Apply heat pads to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day.
3.) Continue using a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on.
4.) Avoid sitting for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.