Can we get Ipills over the counter?

Hi.. are Ipills (emergency contraceptive pills) banned in India? Cant we get them over the counter? If not, would you be able to assist to help me get one in Chennai? Thanks
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

I-pill is not banned in India. It is available over the counter, all over the country. Hence, you can get one in Chennai too without a doctor's prescription.

Hope this helps you.

Follow-up: Can we get Ipills over the counter? 4 minutes later
Hello Dr. Shanthi,

Many thanks for your confirmation. I tried contacting various medical stores (including appollo pharmacy) in chennai and all they have to say is, it is banned and is available only with the doctors. Would you be kindly able to assist/direct us to a place or doctor in chennai, whom we can approach for the pill.

Chennai, I'm sure you would agree is a very conservative city and it is very difficult to get an assistance on such matters from medical stores.

P.S. Me and my partner are above 28 yrs.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry that you are facing difficulty in procuring the drug. It is available over the counter all over India. Unfortunately, you are not getting it.

In such a case, the only option is to consult a doctor and get it prescribed by him/her.

Here is one doctor who works with us on XXXXXXX She is located in Chennai. You may want to contact this doctor for a prescription or the drug itself.

Yes, I do understand the situation in Chennai.

Please see if this helps you.