Can vitamins cause a delayed period?

Mar 2013
Can gnc woman's ultra mega vitamins, the yellow ones, cause a delayed period?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later

Vitamins cannot cause a delayed period.
There could be various other causes which are as follows , in the order of 6. being common :

1. Pregnancy or pregnancy related complications, if you are sexually active.
2. Anxiety, stress, emotional traumas and upheavals, recent and significant fluctuations in weight, frequent and hectic travelling, job issues etc.
3. Intake of hormonal medications for birth control, or other medications like antipsychotics, antidepressants which often delay and alter periods.
4. Thyroid hormone imbalance, high prolactin levels.
5. A normal occurrence once in a while in the reproductive life span of a woman.
6. Conditions like polycystic ovaries which lead to delayed and scanty periods and difficulty in ovulation and conception.
7. Endometrial hyperplasia and related conditions.

You need to provide more details for me to be able to assist you better.
Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Can vitamins cause a delayed period? 18 minutes later
XXXXXXX 25th I had surgery for a barthalands cyst. Two weeks later it became infected and I had the surgery again. I was taking antibiotics for a few days until I started taking my birth control again. I had a light period that lasted three days of so shortly after. I was sexually active on Valentine's day and after that, but he never came. All throughout march I wasn't active because he was on leave and once he came back we've been too busy. But no period in march. Two weeks ago I started taking the gnc woman's pills and ever since then I've been having period symptoms like sore breasts, lower stomach cramps, discharge, but ne period. I've taken two tests, but both were negative.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
Antibiotics interfere with the efficacy of birth control.
If two pregnancy tests are negative, I think you are most definitely not pregnant.
Having taken the birth control erratically due to your illness could be a reason for erratic periods.
vitamins are not known to interfere with menstrual cycles.
I think a gynecological consultation is in order for detailed tests and a pelvic ultrasound that would tell you whats going on.
Follow-up: Can vitamins cause a delayed period? 4 minutes later
I don't want to see any doctors, but I guess I have to get a blood test.
So the vitamins woukd effect the results of the pregnancy test, would they?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
I dont think " I dont want to see any doctors " is a logical or wise statement or decision.
I would advise you to do that.