Can venous ablation procedure repeated for recurring wound?

General Surgeon
About 8 or9 years ago I had a venous ablation procedure on my left leg due to an open wound that refused to close. The procedure resolved the issue....until now, when it has recurred, although not to the same degree.. Can the ablation procedure be repeated, or is it a one time event?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, it can be repeated. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, it can be repeated. Generally venous insufficiency is a chronic disease which can recur. It all depends which vein were closed. First of all you need full leg veins Doppler ultrasound to determine veins condition. You may need complete superficial veins removal instead of ablation. If your legs get swollen, you should also wear compression stockings. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Can venous ablation procedure repeated for recurring wound? 1 hour later
The previous ablation included the ultrasound determination procedure, and went quite well. My legs, thankfully, do not swell. I was told by the attending physician to wear a compression stocking on the affected leg, which I did...for a couple of years, but abandoned due to the inconvenience and apparent no longer need....I will know better next time. Thank you Doctor, you have diminished my "worry list".
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Compression stockings can help with wound healing so maybe it is worth to try. You are welcome.