Can valtrex be taken before ACDF and P triple fusion?

Nov 2013

Can i take valtrex before ACDF & P triple fusion scheduled for tomorrow 12/11? I came down with herpes on lip after i did all my pre admit at Barrow Neurological & wasnt taking valtrex at that time so my drs dont know about this. Ive been taking it for 2 1/2 days & my last dose 8pm tonite. Ive had 6 pills total. Help. I dont want to tell my docs tomorrow cuz i have only ONE chance to get this surgery and the surgery is way way beyond necessary. Pain is so bad. My spine totally degenerated. Thx!! Janet
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Yes, you can take Valtrex (valaciclovir) tablets before ACDF scheduled for tomorrow (12/11). It is absolutely safe and moreover, it is better to complete the course for herpes infection of the lip prior to surgery. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes for surgery tomorrow and speedy recovery thereafter, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: