Can using the same hand for throwing papers cause the rib cage alignment problem ?

Question
i deliver a lot of newspapers over 2 days and noticed this morning (after throwing papers the last 2 days) that my sternum is crooked. could i have moved my rib cage and/or spine that much since i do have to throw mostly with one hand? how do i get everything adjusted back to midline? massage? chiropractic?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 minutes later

There is no possibility that the position of sternum can change howsoever hard you may be throwing the newspapers with your arm. It looks like costochondritis or inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs.

It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.
You may need to consult an orthopedician and get the medicines prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Can using the same hand for throwing papers cause the rib cage alignment problem ? 2 hours later
there is no pain. it's not the whole sternum, just the bottom part that sticks out if you stretch. it's pointing toward the left and appears a little twisted. could that be from cartilage damage or could muscles pull it? i don't remember it being out of alignment before.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Xiphoid process s a small cartilaginous process (extension) of the lower part of the sternum which is usually ossified in the adult human. By age 15 to 29, the xiphoid usually fuses to the body of the sternum with a fibrous joint which is a non movable joint.

It does not stick out on its own unless or until there is any fracture of the xiphoid process which requires considerable amount of force. A cartilage damage and muscle pull cannot displace it. For the symptom of something stretching out of the sternum, a muscular swelling or muscle strain or a small benign growth need to be ruled out. Get an x-ray and a MRI of the area done to confirm the diagnosis.