Can using implanon cause arthritis or osteoporosis?

Hi, I had such bad side effects from implanon that I had it taken out. However I am left still with some of the problems ie weight gain (I am healthy active and detox three times a year and have a good understanding of my weight so know for sure implanon has affected it). I have been left with swollen fingers so that I can no longer wear my wedding ring and my fingers are painful to bend, almost as if they are crackling under the skin. I started a new fitness regime which caused pain in my left leg socket so I stopped. A month later I still have bad pain in the left socket which makes me very stiff and has to be warmed up to walk. Yesterday I started to get severe pain in my right leg socket after just walking four miles (which is my standard food shopping walk). Today I am in pain on both sides without feeling like I have done anything wrong! Could it be arthritis at all? Or, because before implanon, I was on depo-provera for three years in 2001-2004, could it be the beginnings of osteoperosis? Sorry to pester, I am in pain and worrying! Thank you for any suggestions! :)
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Using implanon - a progesterone only intradermal contraceptive - is not likely to cause osteoporosis that too at such an early age.
Osteoporosis characteristically affects the large joints of the body and does not move from one joint to another. In your case rheumatoid arthritis seems more likely.
For relief from the pain, you can take a good analgesic with good anti-inflammatory action like ibuprofen.
Getting your blood examined for RA factor will also help in diagnosis.
Till you schedule an appointment with your orthopedician, you can do a hot fomentation of the affected joints with application of local analgesic gel for relief.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.