Can use of Unwanted 72 cause skipped periods? Negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. Need to worry?

I wanted to knw if use of unwanted 72 could skip a period. I had my last period around the 27/28 of XXXXXXX and a week after that I took the pill.. And haven't had my periods ever since. I took pregnancy tests which were negative and also got a urine culture to check why I was getting excessive discharge. The culture test was negative and showed that i did not have any infection. Is there something I need to worry about ?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Unwanted 72 contains the hormone Levonorgestrel in doses sufficient enough to stop ovulation since you took it in the pre-ovulatory period. This drug can alter your menstrual cycle; it can cause breakthrough or delay a period. The efficacy of the drug in preventing a pregnancy is more the sooner it is taken after an unprotected intercourse.

If you were regular in your cycles previously and have not had a period for so long, then, you should definitely consider pregnancy. Excessive vaginal discharge can be seen during the ovulatory phase, during pregnancy and just prior to the onset of menstruation. If it is associated with irritation and/or burning sensation, you should consider infection. It is good that you have ruled out urinary infection.

As your HPTs are negative, I would suggest a blood test for serum beta-hCG measurement and a trans-vaginal sonogram to be confirmatory. You should see a gynecologist for a physical exam and proper evaluation. Absence of a period can also be seen with weight disturbances, thyroid disorders, polycystic ovaries, emotional stress and drug interactions. Yet, in your case, you should exclude pregnancy first.

I hope I have clarified your doubt. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Can use of Unwanted 72 cause skipped periods? Negative pregnancy test, excessive discharge. Need to worry? 10 hours later
I cant visit a gynecologist as i cannot tell this at my home. Please suggest some solution for this problem. And can i still be pregnant ?
I had sex on the 6th of february. If i had to be pregnant i would have showed some signs. But that's not the case !! i had taken two home pregnancy tests too which were negative as well.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

The only solution I can give you if you cannot visit a gynecologist, is either to wait for your period, or get a trans-vaginal sonogram along with serum beta-hCG test. This is necessary as, in the rare event of failed contraception, you may want some solution for this pregnancy and if you delay the diagnosis, you may face difficulty later.

If you have regular 28-30 day cycles, you had intercourse during the fertile period. If you have taken the pill within the stipulated time after the accident, you need not worry much. You may have skipped your normal period due to the pill. Please do not take this as an assurance, I am giving you the more likely possibility. I would definitely advice you to see a doctor and not self-medicate yourself.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further assistance, you may contact me. I will be ready to help.