Ask a Urologist   »  

Can urethritis be the cause of a burning sensation in the urethra?

I am 23, 6ft3in about 250lbs
I had complete protected sex with a stripper. No oral sex, no condom break. However the next day I had a burning in my urethra the next, no discharge of any type. Also right after sex, I thoroughly clean myself with handwipes sanitizer, soap and baby powder. Chlamydia/gonorrhea/HIV test came out all negative. I tested myself for HIV after 1 week 3 weeks and 6 weeks, all negative. I also Tested the girl I slept with for HIV, it was negative. After Several trips to the hospitals, Drs only concluded I had urethritis.I was given antibiotics anyways (Azithromycin, ceftriaxone, doxycycline, bactrim DS). The burn came and go and finally stopped alone after about 2 weeks. All i have now are small black dots and a red discoloration on the tip of my penis. They are slowly fading away. What do you think might be the cause of this burn?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later

I agree with the diagnosis that you probably had urethritis.
The red discoloration can be due to 2 reasons.
First,its a allergic reaction to some medication or cream or product that you used.
After stoppage of the use,there reaction should go away.
Second possibility is that its a contact dermatitis /eczema .
That too should disappear once contact is removed.

I suggest that you watch for a few days.If the discoloration fades,well and good.If not you may need steroid cream etc to battle the inflammation.

Beware that urethritis has a tendency to recur.So keep good hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Can urethritis be the cause of a burning sensation in the urethra? 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. This happened about 6-7 weeks ago, and the discoloration is still here. Prior to that I had always have a small red discoloration at the tip of penis, it's just that after the incident the discoloration got bigger. I forgot to mention that I also was using desoximetasone 0.25 for about a week or 2 and I stopped because I felt like I was having allergic reactions to it.
After and while using Antibiotics I had several allergic reactions to them (throat swelling,night sweats, disrupted flora : yellow stools) But they all stopped 2-3 weeks after stopping the antibiotics. Probiotics + yogurt cured my yellow stools. This is when i found out I was allergic to Sulfa drugs (Bactrim DS).
I did a bunch of blood test even stool test and everything comes up normal.
Every single doctor I speak to reassure me I did not contract an STD. I am still worried. Am I overreacting?
Also I had 2 occasions (while on Antibiotics) where I frequently urinated? it stopped after 2 days.
I have not had sex with my girlfriend over a month, just because I am worried to give her anything. Before ever having unprotected sex with her, we both had a full STD screening and never had any problems, until when I went outside of my relationship, using a condom. Is it safe to resume our regular sexual activities?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Well,6 weeks is a long time.It should have cleared by now,if this was due to an allergic reaction.Plus you mentioned that you were taking dexamethasone which is a steriod.You seem to have long history of allergic reactions so thats the first suspect of course.However,i feel that you should see a dermatologist also.Such long term development of the lesion may indicate towards a skin condition.You need to have balanitis,lichen etc rule out.
I dont think its an std either since you already had antibiotics and its still there.

Please see a dermatologist to rule out certain things.A biopsy may be needed.

As far as the relationship with your partner goes,i would suggest that you get this confirmed first.