Can ureaplasma urealyticum and gardnerella vaginalis be transmitted through kissing?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi I've been tested positive for ureaplasma urealyticum and garddnerella vaginalis and am currently on medication question is I'm in a new relationship with someone we've only kissed but I'm worried I may have passed it on to him through my saliva ??
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No,These organisms cannot be transmitted by saliva Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic, As you was tested positive for Ureaplasma urealyticum and Gardnerella Vaginalis for which you are taking treatment. Both these organisms are normal comensals of the genital flora of both men and women and can remain in the genital tract with out producing any symptoms, whenever there is a change in the environment of genital flora by sexual act. These organisms gets activated and can be transmitted by sexual intercourse. These organisms are not the normal comensals of the oral cavity and cannot be transmitted by saliva. Hope all your doubts regarding transmission of these organisms are cleared, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.