Can untreated graves disease cause a missed period?

Can untreated Graves Disease cause a missed period? I have been off my medicines for several months now due to no insurance and low income. Last month my period was extremely light and now I am close to 3 weeks late. My menstrual cycle has always been regular and i only missed my period when i became pregnant. I got my tubes tied in 2008 so i was worried that my thyroid condition could have caused my missed period.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 44 minutes later

Irregular menstrual cycles are definitely associated with the thyroid over function or thyroid dysfunction; so in both the way the menstrual cycles will be affected.
As you have mentioned that you have Graves' disease which is nothing but thyroid over function, and you have been off the medicines, so this is most likely the reason for your missed periods.

I advise you to consult your treating physician , and get done the thyroid profile and start using anti-thyroid drugs as soon as possible.

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please write back if you need any further clarification ,