Can ulcer in the stomach cause crampy pain under the rib cage?

Hi I am 22 and i am having pain right under my rib cage it is hard to the touch and feels like cramps i know i have and ulcer could this be what is causing my pain
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 3 hours later

Ulcer in the stomach will cause pain. If this pain is deeper, burning in nature and associated with food intake, yes it can be related to ulcer. You need an OTC Antacid like TUMS, Maalox Gel to get relief.

Another possibility is muscular spasm of intercostal muscles. The muscle pain is tender to touch. In such a case you can take Tablet Tylenol - DS. If it helps, then this can be muscular pain.

If you are not getting better by either of them, you need to get an examination by a primary.

Hope I answered your query.

Warm Regards.