Can tri sprintec be used as emergency contraception?

Can tri sprintec be used as emergency contraception? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later

Tri-sprintec tablets a combination oral contraceptive containing the progestational compound norgestimate and the estrogenic compound ethinyl estradiol. Each gray tablet contains 0.18 mg of the progestational compound, norgestimate and and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol. Each light blue tablet contains 0.215 mg of the progestational compound norgestimate and 0.035 mg of the estrogenic compound, ethinyl estradiol. Any of them can be used as an emergency contraceptive pill. In that case you have to consume four pills as the first dose as soon as convenient but not later than 72 hours of unprotected intercourse and these should be followed by another four pills 12 hours later. But you must be aware of its failure rate. After a single act of unprotected sexual intercourse, this regimen fails in about 2 percent of women who use it correctly (the chances of pregnancy are approximately four times greater when the regimen is not used). Therefore you can use them as emergency contraception but you have to use it properly.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have further queries you may write back to me. I am here to give you proper guidance. Kindly write a review on my answer. If you don’t have further queries you can close the discussion here.

Dr Arnab Maji