Can trenaxa 500 be given intramuscularly? How is it applied?

Dear Doctor, trenaxa 500 can be given intramuscularly and how it is applied?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This medication is also known generically as 'tranexamic acid". Since you are a 31 year old, presumably healthy female, I am going to guess that this is being prescribed related to heavy menstrual cycles. In this case this is the usual dosing is:

Oral: 1300 mg 3 times/day (3900 mg/day) for up to 5 days during monthly menstruation

You mention that you are interested in side effects. Here are the side effects, listed generically with incidence:

Headache (50%)
Abdominal pain (20%)
Back pain (21%)
muscle pain (11%)
Nasal/sinus symptoms (25%)

1% to 10%:
Fatigue (5%)
Anemia (6%)
Arthralgia (joint pain) (7%)
muscle cramps/spasms (7%)

As listed above, the most common side effect is headaches. I hope this helps. Please let me know if my assumptions about your question are incorrect. DR XXXXXXX