Can total thyroidectomy surgery affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading?

Jun 2013
I have come across numerous amounts of literature about the alteration in the process of alcohol metabolism in patients post total thyroidectomy. Is it true that this type of surgery can affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading? I have had a lot of answers that were very informative from all over the world. Is anyone from the United States on this forum. I ask this because I would like to get information from every country. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 7 hours later
Hi there,

I trained to be a psychiatrist in the United states and I know that there is no correlation between the process of alcohol metabolism in patient after a total thyroidectomy, if they are being given adequate thyroid supplements.

I feel this question is out of question, as no matter where you live in the world. If you have adequate thyroid levels in your blood, the alcohol metabolism is not an issue.

However, I would advise you to cut down and eventually stop drinking alcohol totally as it would be bad for your liver if you continue to do so.

I hope this helped. Let me know if I have missed anything. I would be happy to clarify.

Take care and have a lovely day !