Can total thyroidectomy affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading?

Excellent

Question
I have come across numerous amounts of literature about the alteration in the process of alcohol metabolism in patients post total thyroidectomy? Is it true that this type of surgery can affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
hi and thanks for the query,
It has been described that thyroid hormones affect the metabolism of Alcohol dehydrogenase, the enzyme involved in metabolizing or removing alcohol from the body. The results of the blood alcohol levels readings can actually be grossly altered by this surgery. Most thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) reduce the activity of alcohol dehydrogenase. In patients with post with a post total thyroidectomy state therefore, we can have most of the time false negative blood alcohol levels or decreased blood alcohol levels since this enzyme is not adequately inhibited as normal. In some cases, when the amount of thyroid replacement therapy becomes excessive or higher, this enzyme is excessively inhibited, and we have excess or false positive blood alcohol levels.
This has been sufficiently described in scientific and clinical medicine literature.
Thanks and best regards as I agree with you.
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Can total thyroidectomy affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading? 38 hours later
I submitted a follow up question but was not sure if it went through because I cannot see it on the dashboard. I am going to resubmit again just in case. I replied to your message saying, Thank you Dr. Luchuo for the information. Unfortunately doctors in the United States are not up to date with this information. I have presented many article off the web but do not have access to scholarly websites. Do you happen to know any articles I can present to show them? Any links you can share would be so appreciated.

Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for your query,
There is a clearly interaction between thyroid hormones and alcohol metabolism. If you read up the endocrinology section in Davidson s Principles of XXXXXXX medicine and XXXXXXX s Textbook of XXXXXXX Medicine/. There is an alteration in alcohol metabolism, in which direction remains the exact question. But there is.
1. WWW.WWWW.WW 2. WWW.WWWW.WW 1. WWW.WWWW.WW 2. WWW.WWWW.WW 3. WWW.WWWW.WW 4. WWW.WWWW.WW 5. WWW.WWWW.WW 6. WWW.WWWW.WW 7. WWW.WWWW.WW
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Can total thyroidectomy affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading? 23 hours later
Doctor you have been so very helpful. I cannot thank you enough. If you have any other articles you can share with me, it would be so beneficial. 4 of the articles were unfortunately the same study (about the rats). I think Endocrinologists in the United States have not been educated on this subject as much as other countries. By you providing me with this information it would aid in the educational advancement of these physicians and therefore help many more patients in the long run. I know you are a very busy doctor but if you can spare any more time to help I would be so appreciative.

Best regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query,
I would not hesitate if i got any more information.
thanks and best regards for now,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Can total thyroidectomy affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading? 10 hours later
Thank you doctor. Please let me know if you do. I would be so grateful.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Could you please check on the web site of the American ASsociation of family physicians(AAFP) and the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM). Read on thyroid disorders and testing. You should have more insight.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.