Can tonsil extend deep down into the throat?

If you can see your tonsils by looking in your throat. What is just under the tonsil? Do they extend down into the the throat?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
The tonsils are present at the back of the throat. These can extend sometimes up to pharynx. But they do not extend XXXXXXX down into the throat. The oropharynx also contains adenoids but these are located high in the throat, behind the soft palate and at the back of the nose, where the nose merges with the mouth. Under the tonsils, you can only see the oropharynx mucosa lining.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.