Can tissues grow around the Intrauterine device?

can tissues grow around the IUD? I can't locate my IUD but I do feel a large mass where my IUD normally is.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The tissues are not likely to grow around IUD so as to cover it completely. The mass that you can feel is more likely to be a soft tissue swelling and needs a direct examination to find out. The threads can sometime get coiled inside the vagina causing a feeling of lost threads. A direct per speculum examination by a gynecologist will help in detecting this. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Can tissues grow around the Intrauterine device? 5 minutes later
Thank you! I will call my OBGYN first thing Monday morning.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcoe. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards