Can there be pregnancy symptoms while the test shows negative result ?

I am a 41 year old with a period due around the 20th of this month. I have a 36 day cycle which varries occassionally, and my last period began April 14, 2011. I have not missed my period, but I took a pregnancy test today (3 days in advance) and I am getting a negative result. I am having some symptoms: terrible smells, gas, sore breasts, fatigue, hungry upon waking (not normal for me), and in general some pregnancy signs. Could this also be really bad PMS or could it still be pregnancy and should I stop using Retinol products on my face?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 12 minutes later
Hi MsMeliss,

Thanks for posting your query

Your symptoms are suggestive of pregnancy.If you had unprotected intercourse then chances are there that you might be pregnant.Some woman can have pregnancy symptoms as earliest as after a week of conception.Urine pregnancy tests do not give accurate results so early as it detects the amount of HCG hormone in blood and it usually shows up after 10 to 15 days of missed period date.

Wait for the periods right now.If they do not start even after a week of expected date then consider getting a Blood HCG test done which is a confirmatory test for pregnancy determination and gives accurate results after a week of missed period.Also visit your Primary Physician for examination to look for early pregnancy signs and symptoms suggestive of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.
Follow-up: Can there be pregnancy symptoms while the test shows negative result ? 55 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Mitaly, I will wait until I am late and do as you suggested. I also wondered if I should stop using Retinol products on my face if I am pregnant? Some people say the Vitamin A derivative can be harmful in pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 8 hours later
Hi MsMeliss,

Thanks for the follow up.

Retinol products are usually not recommended during pregnancy but topical application within permissible limits is fine.

But to be on the safer side, it is better to avoid until you are sure about the pregnancy.

Wishing you Good Health!