Ask a Urologist   »  

Can there be growth of testicle after undergoing treatment for undescended testis?

Jul 2016

Hello Sir, My son (now 10 years of age) had undergone orchidopexy at the age of 5 years on account of one hypoplastic testicle which had remained undescended and was in inguinal canal till orchidopexy was performed. The undescended testicle was successfully brought to the scrotum. However, it has not been growing at all and is still hypoplastic. My concern is that whether there is any treatment available for this? Can there be any growth of this testicle in future after undergoing some treatment? In case there is no treatment then what bearing is it going to have on his fertility (i.e. ability to produce sperms) which is definitely going to affect the overall self-esteem as an adult. His other testicle is ferfectly normal in size. Is there any need for us to go for his blood test to check hormonal levels? Which particular tests will you recommend in this regard? Thanks, A K XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can do Serum Testosterone levels Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your son has undergone surgery of Orchidopexy for undescended testis at the age of 5 years and have observed that the size of the testis is same and has not increased over these past 5years after surgery. Since the testes was in inguinal canal it is likely that it has suffered what is called as arrested growth of the testes as it was in inguinal canal for 5 years since birth. Since his other testis is normal you should not worry about the problem of infertility in future. You can do his Serum Testosterone levels in blood to allay your anxiety. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil. .
Follow-up: Can there be growth of testicle after undergoing treatment for undescended testis? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX While thanking you for the quick response, I would like to add that my query regarding the availability of treatment for this arrested growth of testis, has since not been answered in your reply. Is there no hope for growth of the hypoplastic testis in future with some treatment? If there is any hope, can you please suggest where to go for that? Would you please dwell upon this aspect as well. With regards A K XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: No treatment option for this hypoplastic testis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. I am sorry I missed to answer about this aspect of your query. There are no chances of any treatment of hypoplastic testis as the growth is already arrested for a long period of 5 years. Thanks and Regards Dr.Patil.