Can the small pox vaccine spread through sperm?

My husband got a small pox vaccine yesterday. We had sex this morning and didn't think anything of it, Now i'm a little worried and wondering if vaccina can be spread through sperm..I know he has been keeping up on not touching it and washing his hands
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms because small pox vaccine contains live vaccine called vaccinia. But it is a very mild virus as compared to small pox and may cause some pain, soreness, lesions and irritation of the genital area. It may even cause some rashes.

If there is appearance of any rashes then you should get a viral antibody titre or PCR (polymerase chain reaction) done. But vaccinia virus is not known to cause any serious effects in normal individuals. It causes more serious symptoms in immunocompromised persons and those who are taking a lot of medication.

You should avoid sex with your husband for 2-3 weeks and he has to cover the injection site. Also take some post coital pills to avoid any pregnancy as it is not advisable to conceive a child with a partner for at least 4 weeks after taking the small pox vaccine. You can use condoms in future.

Discuss about the same with the doctor who gave him the shot, to reinforce on what I commented.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.