Can the effects of ellaone last months? Have signs of EWCM, high open soft cervix. How long to cure?

Infertility Specialist
Can the effects of ellaone last months? I took ellaone in febraury and have not ovulated since according to Ovulation predictor kits. I have all the signs of EWCM, high open soft cervix on day 11 as normal but no thermal shift of biphasic pattern- temps don't show estrogen lows in preovulatory phase. I have read that ellaone can disrupt ovulation and act as a selective progesterone inhibitor acting on certain receptors...but how long does It take to wear off??how can I undo the affects that unipristal acetate is still causing? please help me to undertand better the changes happening in my body. Thank you. X
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 6 hours later

Ellaone - is an emergency contraceptive medicine. The drug half life is 32 to 40 hours

There is no document to suggest that it has a prolonged effect.

If the kits for ovulation have not showed any signs of ovulation it will be worthwhile you visit your Gynecologist and discuss the issue.

She can do an ultrasound and look for follicular development which will help you.

The effect of unipristal acetate still persisting, as per your history is very unlikely as its effect is only for 48 to 72 hours.

Hope to have answered your query. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries.

Dr Nandita Thakkar
Follow-up: Can the effects of ellaone last months? Have signs of EWCM, high open soft cervix. How long to cure? 5 hours later
Dear Dr. Thakkar, thanks for your reply. Altho I used Ellaone within 48 hours I still became pregnant. The pill didn't prevent ovulation or implantation. However it works differently to levengesteral by a third stage of blocking progesterone in this case so the embryo couldn't thrive and I miscarried in March. The acetate also makes the uterus hostile to a pregnancy that succeeds. I still feel very upset about this even tho it was an unplanned pregnancy and wanted to keep our baby if the EC failed. I wished I took levengesteral because if it doesn't prevent pregnancy then the baby is unharmed and continues to grow. My GP says that ellaone is powerful in stopping follicular rupture although all the symptons of ovulation occur and I may be hypersensitive to the drug. It also causes luteal phase defects he says. My question is what can I do to reverse the effect and rebalance my hormones so I become fertile again and ovulate?
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 5 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

I perfectly understand your question. But there is no known drug to reverse this effect. The effects of “ellalone” only last for that month cycle.

After a miscarriage a lady can have dysfunctional uterine bleeding and delayed ovulation. In some cases the consultant after giving an assessment can suggest oral contraceptive pills for a very short period which works as a cycle regulator and helps to re-establish the ovarian - pituitary axis.

Please discuss about this option with your gynaecologist. Perhaps trying oral contraceptive pills briefly can bring back your hormones and ovulation to normalcy.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need more help in this regards.

Best wishes
Dr Nandita Thakkar
Follow-up: Can the effects of ellaone last months? Have signs of EWCM, high open soft cervix. How long to cure? 2 days later
Thank you for your help, Dr. Thakkar,
When you suggest the pill to reestablish the hormonal balance would that be the combined pill and how long do I take it for please before I stop to try to conceive? Do you still ovulate on the pill? Thank you! This is my last question- you have been very helpful, thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 2 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

The pill is usually is low dose combined oral contraceptive pills. It is usually given for 2 to 3 cycles. The chance to ovulate when on the pill is almost nil when the pills are taken properly.

You can try to conceive after stopping the pill.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have no more queries, please close this discussion. Any feed backs are most welcome.

Best wishes
Dr Nandita Thakkar