Can the cracking/popping of neck be due to vitamin deficiency?

Hi Dr. My son is having problem with his neck. He cracks or pops his neck all the time. We have done MRI, CT scan and head scan no problem has been found.
if he does not crack or pop his neck, he does not feel fine. Sometimes he pops more and sometime he pops less. he has had no injury to his neck or back.
Can the cracking/popping of his neck be due to vitamin deficiency?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 45 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your son. As far as cracking and the popping out of the neck this is actually quite common in the population. Some individuals do this more often than others for comfort reasons. One of the issues with cracking and popping of the neck is that the more somebody does this to your body. The more the body becomes accustomed to the adjustment that it provides.

Let me reassure you that what is going on with your son is not life-threatening. I really do not see any evidence in the literature which has been published regarding vitamin deficiency contributing to something like this.

What I would recommend for your son is to have a consultation with a physical therapist. A physical therapist will be able to perform a federal musculoskeletal examination and focus on areas of your son's body which might be contributing to this increase of mobility of the neck. What he might really benefit from would be some strengthening exercises of muscles in the neck. This might take some time but it may also be something that involves behavioral modification. Cracking and popping of the neck is somewhat of a habit for many people.

Again I really do not think this is a worrisome problem. I do not think this represents a vitamin deficiency. I do not think this is a representation of any systemic illness otherwise. I encourage you to consider a consultation with a physical therapist.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding your son I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Galamaga